Welcome!

Evangeline's Playhouse is a Registered Child Care Home. We are inspired by the Montessori and Reggio Emilia approaches to early childhood education. There is a low ratio of 5 children to 1 adult, and we are conveniently located in North Central Austin, within walking distance of Ramsey Park and the north Central Market. Drop-in care (or babysitting) is available for all ages, during the following times: Monday- Friday 1pm-11pm and Saturdays & Sundays 8am-11pm. 

Concerning young children, the most notable phrase of the Montessori Method is, "Help me do it myself." This is one of the most important parts of my program. While I am here to guide them with unfamiliar tasks, my home constantly evolves to allow young children to do things for themselves as much as possible.

I believe that it is important for young children to learn manners and to be part of a household. In a home setting, the activities of the Montessori Method are easily adapted in practical ways. For example, learning how to pour liquid from a teapot can be accomplished when we have teatime.

Where the more formal aspects of the Montessori Method would be, the Reggio Emilia Approach takes over. While we have a schedule that we follow, and specific subjects that I have planned, there is flexibility for the children to decide what they want to do. For example, if the children were engrossed in creating a block city during free time, I would not stop them because my timeline says we need to have a story! Instead, I would bring out the "Jungle Box" of animals and critters and weave a story around the block city the children are creating. I allow the children to be active participants in our curriculum.

The Reggio Emilia Approach is an "education based on relationships." I feel it is important for parents to be actively involved in what we are doing here. Every several weeks, I will hold a potluck on the weekend so that parents and siblings can come over and see what the kids have created and learned. They will have the opportunity to share ideas for our curriculum as well as listen to or read observations that I have made concerning their child.

To read more about the Montessori Method, please go to:
www.montessori.edu/homeschooling.html

To read more about the Reggio Emilia Approach, please go to:
www.brainy-child.com/article/reggioemilia.shtml

For enrolled families, an ever-growing library of books on early childhood education, homeschooling, child development, and healthier living is available for loan.